Nepal resisted repair work at Gandak Barrage and also has blogged some other repair works on other projects which are connected with the Indian Territory and may initiate the weaken relationships between India and Nepal. Nepal wants to make good relations with China and trying to boycott India. While on the other side, India is facing the standoff in Galwan Valley with China but meanwhile Nepal is also disturbing India.
Recent News (Nepal resisted repair work at Gandak Barrage);
- Recently, Nepal resisted repair work at Gandak Barrage and has also stopped some other constructive projects connected with India like Kosi River dam/bridge.
- Nepal has stopped the entry of Indian Engineers to repair the barrage on Gandak river in Nepal.
- Nepal has stopped the flood management work for Bihar. Water Resource Minister of Bihar has already complained about this kind of ongoing issue. He said that we will complain to the central government to take action on the behalf of Bihar.
- Also a few days ago, Nepal police troops shoot Indian farmers working in the fields near the India-Nepal border, which is also an ongoing issue with Nepal.
The entry of Rivers from Nepal to India;
The India-Nepal border is an open international border running between India and Nepal-1,752 kilometres.
Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Sikkim, these are the states which share its boundaries with Nepal.
Nepal’s three biggest river system- The Gandaki, Kosi and Karnali– originate in high mountain glaciers and eventually flow into the Ganges river system.
In the above picture, the locations of these three rivers are mentioned individually from Nepal and coming towards Indian Territory.
The Karnali River;
The Karnali river originates from Mount. Kailash on the Tibetan Plateau, and flows 650 miles to its convergence with the Ganges River in India. Karnali river provides water for millions of people, provides for fish and wildlife. It cuts through the Himalayas in Nepal and joins the Sharda River at Brahmaghat in India. Together they form the Ghaghara river, a major left-bank tributary of the Ganges. It is the longest river in Nepal.
The total length of the Ghaghara river up to its confluence with the Ganges at Revelganj in Bihar is 650 miles.
The Gandak River;
The Gandaki river is one of the largest rivers in Nepal. It is also known as Narayani and a left-bank tributary of the Ganges in India. It covers an area of 46,350 square kilometres. This river basin also contains three of the world’s 14 mountains namely Dhaulagiri, Annapurna and Manaslu. Dhaulagiri is the highest point of the Gandaki basin.
It lies between the similar Kosi River system to the east and the Karnali river system to the west.
The Kosi river is also known as the sorrow of Bihar because it causes too much destruction in the Bihar region. It drains a large part of east-central Himalayas, flowing from Tibet and through Nepal before joining the Ganga in Northern Bihar in India, which often flows to the Bay of Bengal. It is one of the largest tributaries of the Ganga, the Kosi covers about 75000 square kilometres. This river is well known for its floods and capricious behaviour, having displaced millions in Nepal and India since the recent past.
- Cause of flood in India;
The main cause of flood in India are these two rivers i.e Kosi and Gandak river because there is no dam or bridge over these rivers and both India and Nepal do not too much aware of them. That is why, when the water of these two rivers got excessive then it creates floods in India and Nepal.
- In recent years, India has created some resistance or bridges over the India-Nepal border, so that the flood would be controlled little.
- Near the border of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, we see Valmiki Nagar which is closer to the Nepal border with Gandak river. The Gandak river contains a small barrage which resists the water or flood of Gandak river up to the limit.
- The 18 gates of this barrage come under Nepal and rest of all comes under the Indian government. So, there was a mutual understanding between India and Nepal and that is why Nepal used to allow Indian Engineers to repair that barrage of Gandak river. But now, Nepal is not allowing India Engineers to come there for the repairment.
- This is the reason that Bihar’s flood management minister is complaining because if Nepal will not allow the Indian Engineers for the repairment of barrage of Gandak river then the flood would again come in Bihar and would cause deaths and destruction.
Another Issue of a flood;
Similarly, Nepal has blocked repair work on the bank of Lalbakeya river, in East Champaran district in Bihar, where there is no man’s land and the dam is present for 20 years. Bihar had constructed the embankment over the river and had been carrying out fortification work every year of the monsoon. According to the Minister they have never faced such objections from Nepal.
Some developments by Nepal on Border;
- Nepal is making posts near the border and has deployed soldiers over there against India.
- They are creating restrictions in the openness of India-Nepal borders.
- Nepal’s radio stations have started giving weather information of Lipulekh, Kalapani and Limpiyadhura.
Ministry of External Affairs may look into this matter because the restrictions by Nepal would create deaths and destruction in Bihar by floods. Nepal will be apologies for these restrictions if India takes any kind of strict action against Nepal. Almost 80% of work and negotiations of Nepal are connected with India and how they would proceed their work if India takes some strict actions. May Nepal negotiates with India and stops supporting China.
STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE LATEST UPDATES
THANK YOU FOR VISIT
STAY HEALTHY STAY SAFE