GILGIT BALTISTAN UPDATE
In the previous week, Indian govt. suggested Pakistan to leave POK, Gilgit, Baltistan. Initially from this, the Indian govt. has never suggested Pakistan formally like this suggestion. Actually for this suggestion, India waited for 73 years. These areas of Gilgit Baltistan has been captured by pakistan illegally since 1947. Actually, Pakistan wants to conduct elections in Gilgit-Baltistan, but India is not agree with it.
- In May 5, 2020, Indian Meteorological Department had started giving weather forecasting report of Gilgit baltistan areas.
- The Meteorological subdivision of J&K had tranformed its name into Jammu and Kashmir Ladakh Gilgit Baltistan Muzafrabad( capital of POK).
- Secondly, this is the India’s major shift for kashmir Policy.
- As we see after 1947, the issue was created for Kashmir division. Actually, that is a part of India but Pakistan has been trying to capture the whole Kashmir illegally since the India got independence.
History of Gilgit-Baltistan
The territory of present day Gilgit-baltistan became a separate administrative unit in 1970 under the name ” Northern Areas “. It was formed by the amalgamation of the former Gilgit Agency, the Baltistan district and several small former princely states, the larger of which being Hunza and Nagar.
Basically after 1947, when India and Pakistan got seperated, Gilgit-Baltistan was an independent area. The Gilgit Agency was set on lease by Britain at that time for 60 years, but Britishers demolished this lease on 1 August.
After that, the area of Gilgit-Baltistan was given to Maharaja Hari Singh. Then, the actual battle was started because Pakistan attacked the area of Gilgit-Baltistan with the help of Qawalis. These Qawalis continuously invading towards Gilgit part, and killed alot of Hindus.
On 25 october 1947, Maharaja Hari Singh visited srinagar to confirm about the situations in Gilgit-Baltistan area. And when he came to know that the pakistani Qawalis are invading india and killing the Hindus and Muslims in order to capture the Gilgit-Baltistan, then Maharaja Hari Singh signed the treaty of Annexation with India.
Annexation; At that time Maharaja Hari Singh did not have enough army to defend the pakistani Qawalis, so thats why Maharaja Hari singh signed an agreement with India. According to that treaty he wrote ” We need India’s help to defend Pakistani invaders, we want to integrate with India completely”. After that India Army was sent to Srinagar.
India Army tried its full efforts bravely to remove all the pakistani invaders but still some Qawalis were alived in Gilgit-Baltistan. Mirza Hasan Khan was the commander of Gilgit army at that time and he did not support that treaty and did not negotiate with Maharaja Hari Singh. Due to this reason, Mirza Khan declared freedom in Gilgit-Baltistan and nearby areas like srinagar. Pakistan took benefit of this conflict and started establishing its rule over Gilgit-Baltistan.
The History of Gilgit-Baltistan since independence has been a tragic part. This region is a part of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. But Pakistan has trying to attempts illegal capturing including kashmir. Pakistan actually wants to integrate kashmir, Gilgit-baltistan with its own territory, but strategic planners in Islamabad perhaps feel that such a move might weaken their case on Kashmir.
The status of Gilgit-Baltistan is diplomatic and undefined. It is not even a part of so called Azad Kashmir. Even the people living in Gilgit-Baltistan don not have any identities of their particular country or state. There is no transparency or accountability in governance. Also Sectarian violence is continuously increasing in Gilgit-Balistan by Pakistani rangers. Unemployment has been increasing. The plight and difficulties faced by the people of the region have gone unnoticed for long.
Facts About Gilgit-Baltistan
- Gilgit-Baltistan was once a part of Tibet and was known as little tibet. Gilgit once had a cannibal king ( sheri badad ). He was fond of eating the flesh of newly born human babies.
- The people of Baltistan were once the followers of Bon religion, then started practicing Bhuddism and then Islam.
- During the era of Ali Sher Khan Anchan the territory of Balistan streched from Chitra to Leh. Greater than the size of now-a-days pakistani punjab.
- Polo is the national game of Gilgit-Baltistan and the word Polo means ‘Ball’ in Baltistan. GB is considered to be the inventor of modern free style polo.
Political Control on Gilgit-Baltistan
- The govt. of Gilgit-Baltistan consists of democratically elected body with the governor of Gilgit-Baltistan as the constitutional head.
- Chief Minister of Gilgit-Baltistan is elected by the provincial assembly of Gilgit-Baltistan to serve as the head of the provincial goveronment in Gilgit-Baltistan.
- Maximum control on Gilgit-Baltistan is done by pakistan.
- Pakistani army and its secret agency ISI has been deployed over there.
- That is why pakistani prime minister Imran Khan wants to conduct elections in Gilgit-Baltistan but India suggested him to get back and leave these illegally captured areas of Gilgit-Baltistan.
The further decisions are pending about this conflict of Gilgit-baltistan. Indian govt. has only advised pakistan to leave the illegally adopted Gilgit-Baltistan. We wish that this matter will solve negotiately between these two neighbouring countries.